Diversity is a huge topic of conversation at Cal Poly and the Mustang News diversity reporter would focus reporting on diversity related news. Diversity includes, but is not limited to diversity in race, age, gender and sexual orientation. This role entails building relationships with different cultural and minority groups on campus, as well as covering stories with the use of multimedia.
You will have the opportunity to interview influential campus, university and city leaders and report what you find on our integrated platforms, including web, print and social.
What You Will Do:
- Develop sources among campus leaders and clubs that focus on diversity initiatives, reach out to them once a month to discuss story ideas
- Pitch and report on stories related to diversity affecting both Cal Poly and the campus community across Mustang Media Group platforms
- Produce content in a variety of multimedia formats including interactive, graphic and video
- Use industry standard software, including Adobe Illustrator, Premiere, AfterEffects and Photoshop along with multimedia web apps
- Shoot photos and videos using DSLR and broadcast cameras
- Produce content according to Associated Press/Mustang News style
- Collaborate with editors and other multimedia journalists on comprehensive coverage
- Work alongside social media editors to develop social media-native content and promote your stories via social platforms; including but not limited to info videos and live tweeting
- Attend weekly Sunday editorial staff meetings
We are looking for team players with a drive to learn and passion for telling stories that often go untold. Mustang Media Group members thrive on innovation while ambitiously seeking to hone their craft and improve their communities.
Whether your goal is to pursue a career in journalism, gain experience in multimedia reporting or learn more about diversity as it relates to Cal Poly, Mustang Media Group is the best place to get a comprehensive campus experience. Writing experience is required, multimedia experience is not required.
Compensation: $75 per month