Mustang News Business is one of Cal Poly’s learn by doing work spaces which employs students from all majors across campus. The entity is made up of an advertising, marketing, and design team, each led by student leaders. Combined, they have won several national awards in their respective areas.
This is a listing for the Advertising Sales Consultant position within Mustang Media Group, which includes Mustang News, CPTV and KCPR. Consultants will work directly with a clientele of local and non-local businesses to arrange advertising contracts with Mustang News. They are the liaisons between all their clients and Mustang News – they communicate directly with the client to books ads according to the client’s specifications. This is an excellent opportunity for those who are looking to gain experience in sales and customer service in a fun and professional environment.
Job duties include:
- Maintain contact with all accounts on your list on a regular (weekly) basis.
- Look for new accounts to target and research competing media to find new accounts.
- Provide consultative services to business owners to see how Mustang News can help their business grow and get noticed by the Cal Poly community.
- Make return calls to customers who say no; look for opportunities to say yes.
- Meet and communicate with many different types of people and personalities in a professional manner.
- Distribute and explain sales flyers and and media kit information to customers.
- Collaborate with designers to create spec ads for clients.
- Service walk-in clients, fax/email information, and handle phone inquiries.
- Report to senior consultants and managers regularly on client interactions.
- Atend weekly team and group meetings.
- Previous experience not required, but candidate must be extremely self-motivated, personable, and able to communicate with a variety of professionals and business owners across the San Luis Obispo county.
- Able to commit a minimum of 10 hours/week, hours are flexible.
- Any major is welcome to apply!
- Freshman and sophomore standing preferred (or will be at Cal Poly for the next 2-3 years).
- Special consideration will be given to candidates who are available to work over the summer.
- Having a car is a plus but not required.
Pay is hourly and commissioned based with opportunities for incentives. You have unlimited earning potential!
To express interest, please email a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
Mustang Media Group is hiring a graphic designer for the remainder of the 2017-18 school year and the 2018-19 school year. We are looking for a designer that will be joining our in-house graphic design team to provide professional design for our print publications, digital and social media materials. Applicants must have design experience using Adobe Creative Suite from a class or previous employment.
- Work 10-15 hours per week
- Minimum of 6 office hours per week
- Some in-office and some at-home work
- Design flyers, posters, promotional pieces, advertisements, and any other graphics for Mustang Media Group and Mustang News.
- Other duties as assigned
- Reports to Art Director
- Art & Design, Graphic Communication or related major
- Artistic talent with attention to detail
- Skilled in Adobe Creative Cloud applications
- Ability to follow branding guidelines
- Ability to comprehend an assignment and proceed independently
- Ability to accept direction and feedback through constructive critiques
- Ability to multitask and meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment
- Capacity to contribute to a collaborative and creative environment
- Have experience with website management using WordPress
- Can work over the summer
To express interest, please email the following to email@example.com
- Letter of interest
- Resume, listing GPA
- URL for an online portfolio (preferred) or 3–5 portfolio samples in a pdf file.