Applications are OPEN for MMG Advertising
Mustang Media Group Business is one of Cal Poly’s learn by doing work spaces which employs students from all majors across campus. The entity is made up of an advertising, marketing, human resource, distribution and design team, each led by student leaders. Combined, they have won several national awards in their respective areas.
Department: Cal Poly – Journalism Department
Role: Advertising Consultant
Overview: A great opportunity to become part of a nationally-recognized and award-winning advertising sales team with Mustang Media Group: the fully-integrated, student-run media organization at Cal Poly. When formed in 2013, MMG became the first program of its kind in the CSU system, bringing Mustang News, MNTV and KCPR-FM under one umbrella to provide students with the type of environment that has become standard in today’s media industry. MMG Business provides print, digital, newsstand and radio advertising for the entire organization. We work directly with local businesses to produce effective advertisements that meet clients’ needs. Our award-winning design team creates our special editions such as Coupon Book, Poly Picks, Go SLO and SLO Days.
Job Function: Working as an advertising consultant is an excellent opportunity to gain real world experience in business-to-business sales. You will broaden your understanding of sales while working in a fun and supportive environment. You will work directly with local and national businesses to meet clients’ advertising needs and build meaningful client relationships. Pay is hourly and commissioned based with opportunities for incentives. You have unlimited earning potential!
In this role, you will be called upon to:
- Communicate professionally with clients via phone calls, emails and face-to-face meetings on a weekly basis
- Provide consultative services to business owners to see how Mustang News can help their business grow and get noticed by the Cal Poly community
- Collaborate with designers to create dynamic multi-media ad campaigns for clients
- Create advertising contracts for clients
- Attend 2 weekly team meetings
What we are looking for:
- Candidate must be self-motivated, personable, and able to communicate with a variety of professionals and business owners across the San Luis Obispo county
- Strong organizational skills and work ethic
- Ability to work independently in a fast-paced environment and meet deadlines
- Ideal candidate is willing to go above and beyond the minimum number of required hours and client interactions
- Having a car or mode of transportation to see clients is not required, but definitely helpful
Pay is hourly and commissioned based with opportunities for incentives. You have unlimited earning potential!
To express interest, please email a resume and cover letter to the Assistant Managers:
Shannon Weiss: email@example.com
Victoria Cohen: firstname.lastname@example.org
Mustang Media Group is hiring a graphic designer for the 2019-2020 school year. We are looking for a designer that will be joining our in-house graphic design team to provide professional design for our print publications, digital, and social media materials. Applicants must have design experience using Adobe Creative Suite from a class or previous employment.
- Work 10-15 hours per week
- Minimum of 6 office hours per week
- Some in-office and some at-home work
- Design flyers, posters, promotional pieces, advertisements, and any other graphics for Mustang Media Group and Mustang News
- Other duties as assigned
- Report to Design Manager
- Art & Design, Graphic Communication or related major
- Artistic talent with attention to detail
- Skilled in Adobe Creative Cloud applications
- Ability to follow branding guidelines
- Ability to comprehend an assignment and proceed independently
- Ability to accept direction and feedback through constructive critiques
- Ability to multitask and meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment
- Capacity to contribute to a collaborative and creative environment
- Have experience with website management using WordPress
To express interest, please email the following to the HR Manager at email@example.com
- Cover Letter
- URL for an online portfolio (preferred) or 3–5 portfolio samples in a pdf file.